Monday, February 23, 2009

January 7, 2009

Hi,

It has been much too long, and I'm sorry for that. There's been so much going on! I hope that all of your holidays were wonderful. First of all, thank you so very much for everyone who donated to the Christmas fund. Sarah and I raised about $10,000 in one month, which, needless to say, is pretty incredible, and it is all thanks to you. The feedback for this was so amazing and inspiring to me.

We fully decorated the house for the holidays. The kids made popcorn strings with (red and green peppers instead of cranberries - it actually looked better than the ones at home). We made a Christmas tree out of palm fronds that we decorated with flowers, lights, and ornaments that the children made. It was beautiful, before the kids ate all of the popcorn off the strings and it fell over 4 times. Christmas was great. We made an American breakfast for them: banana pancakes, scrambled eggs, and sausage. They loved it.

Everyone got their own stack of presents. They each got new church outfits, pajamas, a pair of sneakers, a book, a notebook for drawing, pens and pencils, and one or two of the things they asked for (toy car, airplanes, spy glasses, etc.) We had them take turns opening presents, so each person got to sit in front of everyone else, like a king or queen, and show what they recieved. For every present unwrapped, there was a round of applause. Even for the pens and pencils. One of the kids, Emmanuel, literally kissed his shoes, he was so excited. We also bought a new computer for the house. This was definitely the favorite gift.

Because there was so much donation money left over after all of these things were purchased, Sarah and I decided to start an education/scholarship foundation for Ryvanz-Mia. It will involve starting a NPO, I think. I couldn't be more excited about this. For right now, the vision is directed mainly towards these 15 children. We would like for Wisdom and Kingsley to spend some time studying in the U.S. for high school, college, or both. Eventually, though, our hope is to include the other 2 orphanages in Kpando, and some of the children from Delta School, where I teach. As we are starting from the ground up with this, any comments or suggestions are gladly welcomed. My plan is to begin working on it as soon as I get back in February.

For a while before Christmas, I was nervous that I would be sad being away from home for the holidays. Now, I really can't imagine having been anywhere else. To be around such genuine and wholehearted appreciation was something I don't think I've ever experienced before. This is something I will forever remember and be grateful for.

New Years was really good too. Sarah and I went back to the resort that I visited in Cape Coast when I first got here. On New Years Eve, the locals hosted a dance and drum circle. If I didn't already know it, I am now truly convinced that African people, on the whole, have more soul and spirit than most Americans ever will. I've decided that I want to learn how to play the drums (save the hippie comments Trav - you'll be jealous when I can play and you can't). It was nice to relax on the beach for a few days, and to spend some time contemplating the past 5 months. It's only a month before I leave, that seems so crazy to me.

I have to cut this short, because I am preparing for visitors. Tomorrow two of my aunts will arrive, to stay for 10 days. It will be really good for me to share all of this, my life here, with some of my family. I will write more soon.

Thanks again, from everyone in Kpando for all of your generosity. You helped to make Christmas really special for the children.

Love,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment