Monday, February 23, 2009

September 23, 2008

Hi.
I have the day off from school today, so it's a good time for an update. I've completed my first week of teaching successfully, but not without a few mishaps along the way. I have two 5th grade classes and two 6th. Last Monday, my first real day of teaching, the headmaster led me to a classroom without any books or preparation whatsoever, said here you go, and left. Many of the kids don't have pens or pencils, let alone any proper workbooks to base a class on. I managed to get my hands on a workbook and teachers guide for the 6th grade and a syllabus for the 5th. Each seems to be dated back to the early 90s. The english speaking and reading abilities vary from class to class, but generally, about 7 or 8 out of 40 are at the level they should be. This was really disheartening for me at first, but I've accepted it, and am positive that I will be able to get some great work out of those who actually put the effort forward.

One of my 6th grade classes does not have a teacher. Yes, you read that correctly, school has been in session for almost 3 weeks and their teacher has not yet arrived. I walked by their classroom yesterday, and the teacher still wasn't there, so I sat down with them for a little to collect homework and see how their weekends were. Two people out of 43 did their homework. These two did, however, do it correctly and actually spent time on it, which made up for the rest in my eyes. In the time I collected and marked their homework, a fight broke out between a boy and a girl (approx. 13-14 yrs, not puny either). Full on fist to face action. If they were at all frightened or put off by the way I screamed and yelled trying to pull them apart, you would never know it. A teacher from another classroom had to come break it up because the two of them were still throwing punches at eachother over my shoulder and head. The girl had the beginnings of a black eye,there is no school nurse, the school has no ice, etc. etc. etc. I was more upset and visibly shaken than either of them were, though, clearly that sort of thing is not unusual.

It is annoying though, because I spend a good part of the hour I have with each class waiting for people to stop talking. Every time I turn around to write something on the board, they start again. When they get really out of hand, I stop teaching and sit down at the desk and they usually get the point. Some, or one of them will say "Madam, we beg you" in their thickly accented English. It's pretty hard to turn that down. Alot of the time I turn around, after asking a question, to look at a sea of blank stares, HUH? I get a soaring feeling in my heart when anyone raises their hand, even if they answer the question wrong, it's great to know that at least one person is listening. On my third day of teaching, one of my 6th graders came up to me after class to tell me she likes the way I teach. For me that makes it all worth it.

Here is a list of things that I miss today.
1. cheese
2. water that doesn't taste like iodine
3. sewage systems
4. a shower curtain
5. schools with smart teachers

I could go on much longer, but I think I'd either bore or offend you.

It's really good to get back to the orphanage at the end of the day, I must say. I feel so relieved to have a proper house full of adorable children and with running water (most of the time) to go home to. The children always welcome me with open arms, and that doesn't ever get old. Eight of them go to the school where I teach, so I walk them in the morning. I feel proud to walk with them, they are all such good kids. Each has a really funny, interesting, and quirky depth that I am beginning to understand more and more. It's hard not speaking their language, but most of the time I can get the picture. I sometimes sit with them and try to figure out what they're talking about (sharing an orange, wanting to watch a film, etc.) and that has turned out to be really fun. We've tried to establish an English only rule while school is in session, but it's still a little hard for most of them to abide by it. Love, the youngest one, really likes to enforce it. He walks around all day saying "spleak engleesh!" to everyone, including me. Hey, at least they're trying.

I guess that's it for now.
love, moh

No comments:

Post a Comment